Northern China finally starts to warm up with an average eleven degree (F) increase from Feb. Central China is still going to feel chilly and very damp. The rain really starts to kick in now and you'll be getting a lot more rain days in both central and southern China. In the south though, the warmer weather will feel lovely and you'll really be comfortable sightseeing in cool spring temps. Just don't forget your rain boots!
See more about the Weather by Region for China.
- Beijing: the ave daytime temp is 51F (11C) and ave number of rainy days is 4.
- Shanghai: the ave daytime temp is 55F (13C) and ave number of rainy days is 13.
- Guangzhou: the ave daytime temp is 71F (21C) and ave number of rainy days is 14.
- Guilin: the ave daytime temp is 62F (17 C) and ave number of rainy days is 19.
March Packing Suggestions:
- North: it will feel a lot warmer during the day but the average is still below-freezing at night. Bring a heavy base layer, fleece and a wind-proof or down jacket.
- Central: the weather's warming up but it still feels chilly during the day because of the damp. A heavy base layer (e.g. jeans, boots and sweaters) along with a rain/wind-proof jacket will be enough.
- South: it will be warm during the day and cool at night. You'll be able to wear shorts on some days but it's still advisable to bring something warmer. Rain-wear is essential: half the month can see rain.
Read more about packing lists for China: A Complete Guide to Packing for China Travel