1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Can I Get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong?


Question: Can I Get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong?
Answer: While the official recommendation is to obtain a Chinese visa in the country where you reside before you leave for your trip, you can get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong does not require visas for entry for residents of most countries. For example, Americans can enter Hong Kong for up to 90 days without a visa. Read more to find out all about entering Hong Kong.

If you are in Hong Kong and are planning to travel on to mainland China, then you need to get a Chinese visa.

  • Go to the Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China at 5th Floor, Lower Block, 26 Harbor Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong. (The Wan Chai neighborhood is located on Hong Kong Island.) Call (852) 2585 1657 or (852) 2585 1680 or (852) 2585 1794.
  • It is recommended you call in advance to ensure opening times and visit hours.
  • Office hours are generally Monday - Friday 9am-5pm.
  • Required documents:
    • a recent passport sized photo
    • your valid passport that is good for at least 3 months after your intended departure date from China
    • your visa application (can also be picked up and filled out at the office)
    • your invitation letter

Your application can usually be processed very quickly, sometimes in one working day.

  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. China Travel
  4. Plan Your Trip to China
  5. Visas
  6. Can I Get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.