It's past mid-month so time to get my travel resolutions down on virtual paper so I have a compass to guide me this year as well as a few places to dream about. Some of these will be repeats from years past, some will be new. I probably won't make it to all of them but trying is the fun part. Here goes!
I resolve to (and report back about, of course) the following places:
- Visit Jingdezhen, China's porcelain capital. It's been on this list for years. Time to get there!
- Visit Fujian Province to explore the round earthen homes built by the Hakka people there and to learn more about the Oolong Tea varieties that grow in the region.
- There are a number of places I'd like to re-visit with the kids, though I've been before, including Xi'an to see the Terracotta Warriors and Shaolin to visit the monastery, see the kung fu performances and explore the area.
- I'd like to go with a few families with children to the Liaoning Fossil & Geography Park to explore the dinosaur fossils there and explore China's Dongbei region to which I haven't yet been.
- Visit Anhui to see Huangshan (the Yellow Mountain) and visit the ancient Ming villages in the region.
- Finally, if I'm lucky enough to win the grant for my entry into WildChina's Explorer contest, then I'll head out to Xinjiang Province for the first time.
And there we have it. Let's see how much I can accomplish this year!
In the meantime, if you're dreaming about your next China holiday, take a look at my top picks for 2013 to see if this inspires your own travel planning.
Photo: the Army of the Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an. Photo by Megan Inman and Lincoln Schroth used with permission. All rights reserved.