Before I publish my China Travel Resolutions for 2013, I thought I'd take a look back and see how I fared for 2012.
Here's what I set out to do last year:
- Visit Jingdezhen, home to China's ancient porcelain culture and shopping mecca for all things blue & white
- Take another Tracy Lesh Tour - she does a tour to a nearby water town of Nanxun that is supposed to be fantastic
- Knock another one or two China UNESCO World Heritage sites off my list - Yunnan's Lijiang and Anhui's Xidi are both on my must-see list
- See Moganshan - I'm putting this one back on - get out and spend a weekend trekking around in the bamboo
- Take the kids to the Great Wall. Can you believe it? I've lived in China for over eight years, my kids were both born here, we've seen it from afar but neither of them have been physically atop the Wall? (My visits were solo or with other adults...)
With the exception of the first point, I did well. I took Tracy Lesh's Nanxun Culture Tour last February. I managed to get to a UNESCO site, not the ones I imagined but to the Mogao Grottoes which were truly incredible. I spent a lovely weekend in Moganshan last April and we got the kids up to the Great Wall as well (despite staying in one of the worst places I've ever experienced). So I'm going to say that's four out of five. Not too bad!
With so much China to see, I'm really excited about 2013. I'm hoping to get back to a few places I've already been and to explore some new spots as well. Stay tuned for my Travel Resolutions 2013. In the meantime, read through my Best of 2012 for some travel ideas.
Photo: looking through an old guardhouse on the Great Wall outside Beijing. © 2012 Sara Naumann, licensed to About.com.